Bucks, Ducks & Brews
Welcome to Bucks, Ducks and Brews! If you are new to the site feel free to browse through the forum but we would love to have have you join us as a member. To join please click "Register" below and create a username, it is totally free and no personal info is required accept for an email address. Once you have created a username you will receive an email to the address you provided to activate. Thanks for your support and we look forward to meeting you.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Bucks, Ducks & Brews
Welcome to Bucks, Ducks and Brews! If you are new to the site feel free to browse through the forum but we would love to have have you join us as a member. To join please click "Register" below and create a username, it is totally free and no personal info is required accept for an email address. Once you have created a username you will receive an email to the address you provided to activate. Thanks for your support and we look forward to meeting you.
Bucks, Ducks & Brews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Connect with BDB on
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ YouTube RSS Feed
Latest topics
» Looks like a wonderful winter stew - and nice game recipe site
Late season slaughter Empty2013-01-03, 21:38 by Maddox

» A little Funny to share....
Late season slaughter Empty2012-10-18, 23:11 by Maddox

» Grassing in the blind!
Late season slaughter Empty2012-09-30, 20:57 by dbagshaw

» 2012 Bustin' Clays!
Late season slaughter Empty2012-09-24, 23:09 by Maddox

» What is that? Unexpected Trail Cam Pictures
Late season slaughter Empty2012-09-19, 22:02 by Maddox

» New Glarus Brewing Company - Spotted Cow
Late season slaughter Empty2012-09-18, 20:20 by dbagshaw

» Beaver removal project!
Late season slaughter Empty2012-09-15, 10:22 by dbagshaw

» Preseason dreams!
Late season slaughter Empty2012-09-13, 08:12 by dbagshaw

» Miller Brewery Tour
Late season slaughter Empty2012-09-13, 08:10 by dbagshaw

» Finally some trout fishing!
Late season slaughter Empty2012-09-06, 11:18 by Maddox

I forgot my password

Late season slaughter

3 posters

Go down

Late season slaughter Empty Late season slaughter

Post  FRENCHY 2011-01-28, 17:06

Haven't been on in a while, so I hope this finds everyone happy and healthy in the new year with full freezers.

I got a chance to goose hunt this morning w/ a buddy of mine's older brother on their family farm down in Galena, MD. I usually get a few calls per season to come down and try to thin out the flocks, but with busy and otherwise conflicting schedules, today was my first crack at it. Well, we didn't waste much time in thinning em' out. As soon as I pulled up in the lane there were 3 canadas locked up on the dekes that were already spread (Thanks Brian). No sooner then I stepped out of my truck does he take 2 of the three down. I figured, "GREAT, we're half way done and I don't even have my gun out of the case." So I load up and head out to the blind and help him cover all the blood that he has now splattered throughout the decoy spread. We sit and catch up for about 45 minutes and all of the sudden we have two huge flocks coming together and circling our dekes. We weren't sure if they were gonna light or flare so we jumped up and emptied the guns. I dropped one and he winged one that glided off acroos the field, 150 yds across the field. Me being the younger of the two of us was sent to hike across the snow covered field to finish off our fine feathered friend. So, as geese do, as soon as I start to get close he jumps up and starts to fly, just barely getting off of the ground. We do this dance two more times before I finally close the gap enough to end this comedic episode. At this point I'm now 325 yds from the blind and not all that enthused about my walk back. Lucky for me at this time my buddies' uncle comes out and gives me a ride back to the blind on a gator as he is now going to join us. Awesome!!! We can shoot two more birds now and I don't have to drag my ass back across the field. We get back to the blind and sit for maybe another half an hour and here comes another flock, probably 20 birds in all. They swung out in front of us and turned around and locked up so pretty I wish I had a camera instead of my 870... I take that back I love having my 870 in my hand. Anyway, we jump up and again everybody empties their guns...

I think I'm gonna save the end of this story for when we can all get together instead of sharing it with the whole world wide web.

Good luck this afternoon and tomorrow to everybody that's going out.

If anybody is interested in doing some snow goose hunting this spring in either DE or MD, let me know. I have an electronic call and would love to take the plug out of my gun.
FRENCHY
FRENCHY

Back to top Go down

Late season slaughter Empty Re: Late season slaughter

Post  BIG J 2011-01-28, 17:27

FRENCHY wrote:

I think I'm gonna save the end of this story for when we can all get together instead of sharing it with the whole world wide web.

Sounds like an awesome morning!

frenchy wrote:

If anybody is interested in doing some snow goose hunting this spring in either DE or MD, let me know. I have an electronic call and would love to take the plug out of my gun.

I'm sure Maddox and I are down....
BIG J
BIG J
Admin

http://bucksducksandbrews.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddox 2011-01-29, 02:02

Nothing like closing the season out that way! I would be interested in hunting some snows and hearing the rest of the story! We toyed around with the idea last year and just never got around to getting it done. I have a DE license and I hear there are some state setups you can use unless you have a good spot. What do you use for snow decoys? There is some potential that here in PA I will have a spot that will fill up with snows. I am told that we get a run in January and then again in February so we will see what happens.
Maddox
Maddox
Admin

http://www.bucksducksandbrews.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down