Bucks, Ducks & Brews
Welcome to Bucks, Ducks and Brews! If you are new to the site feel free to browse through the forum but we would love to have have you join us as a member. To join please click "Register" below and create a username, it is totally free and no personal info is required accept for an email address. Once you have created a username you will receive an email to the address you provided to activate. Thanks for your support and we look forward to meeting you.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Bucks, Ducks & Brews
Welcome to Bucks, Ducks and Brews! If you are new to the site feel free to browse through the forum but we would love to have have you join us as a member. To join please click "Register" below and create a username, it is totally free and no personal info is required accept for an email address. Once you have created a username you will receive an email to the address you provided to activate. Thanks for your support and we look forward to meeting you.
Bucks, Ducks & Brews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Connect with BDB on
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ YouTube RSS Feed
Latest topics
» Looks like a wonderful winter stew - and nice game recipe site
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2013-01-03, 21:38 by Maddox

» A little Funny to share....
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2012-10-18, 23:11 by Maddox

» Grassing in the blind!
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2012-09-30, 20:57 by dbagshaw

» 2012 Bustin' Clays!
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2012-09-24, 23:09 by Maddox

» What is that? Unexpected Trail Cam Pictures
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2012-09-19, 22:02 by Maddox

» New Glarus Brewing Company - Spotted Cow
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2012-09-18, 20:20 by dbagshaw

» Beaver removal project!
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2012-09-15, 10:22 by dbagshaw

» Preseason dreams!
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2012-09-13, 08:12 by dbagshaw

» Miller Brewery Tour
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2012-09-13, 08:10 by dbagshaw

» Finally some trout fishing!
"Fish" of a different kind! Empty2012-09-06, 11:18 by Maddox

I forgot my password

"Fish" of a different kind!

4 posters

Go down

"Fish" of a different kind! Empty "Fish" of a different kind!

Post  dbagshaw 2012-04-02, 08:53

Checked the venison in the freezer - remembered we had tenderloin from the nice deer Gary had gotten in the late Fall, so was looking for the pack to thaw out for dinner. Saw something labled venison fish....hmmmmm....got online and discovered its another name for part of the tenderloin! Who knew! So, thawed, marinated in a little soy sauce, red wine and garlic for several hours and then lightly grilled so just pink in the middle - WONDERFUL!!!!!!

I will look forward to more "fish" like this!!!! :-)

Dee

dbagshaw

Back to top Go down

"Fish" of a different kind! Empty Re: "Fish" of a different kind!

Post  Maddox 2012-04-02, 13:41

I have never heard it called that! I do love fish!!!!
Maddox
Maddox
Admin

http://www.bucksducksandbrews.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SEM8088 2012-04-02, 15:59

Just FYI, the "Fish" is on the inside of the deer's body cavity, just in front of the hind quarters. They smaller than the tenderloind, but way more tender, and tasty. We have a tradition out west, when we butcher our deer, we have them fried up in butter with nothing but some salt and pepper along with some scrambeled eggs and toast............. Can u say Uhm Uhm good.

SEM8088

Back to top Go down

Post  BIG J 2012-04-02, 16:08

SEM8088 wrote:Just FYI, the "Fish" is on the inside of the deer's body cavity, just in front of the hind quarters. They smaller than the tenderloind, but way more tender, and tasty. We have a tradition out west, when we butcher our deer, we have them fried up in butter with nothing but some salt and pepper along with some scrambeled eggs and toast............. Can u say Uhm Uhm good.

We call that preacher meat and I have heard it referred to as "fish" as well. Definitely the most tender part of the deer.
BIG J
BIG J
Admin

http://bucksducksandbrews.com

Back to top Go down

"Fish" of a different kind! Empty more about "fish"

Post  dbagshaw 2012-04-02, 16:57

With a little more research :-) I see this cut is also called venison "teardrops"!! What ever you call it, was certainly tasty!

dbagshaw

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddox 2012-04-02, 17:54

SEM8088 wrote:Just FYI, the "Fish" is on the inside of the deer's body cavity, just in front of the hind quarters. They smaller than the tenderloind, but way more tender, and tasty. We have a tradition out west, when we butcher our deer, we have them fried up in butter with nothing but some salt and pepper along with some scrambeled eggs and toast............. Can u say Uhm Uhm good.

Do you remove them in the field or wait until you are back at camp? Last year when I was reading up on butchering I recall reading that the tenderloins(fish, preachers meat, teardrops, delicousness, whatever you want to call it Laughing ) can dry out if not removed quickly.
Maddox
Maddox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SEM8088 2012-04-03, 14:42

We remove them when we butcher. But we also keep an eye on them and if they start to dry out, we will remove then early. Want to let some of the blood dry up, and the meat to release its heat befor removing them. At least that is what we do.

Good eating!!

SEM8088

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddox 2012-04-03, 16:11

That makes sense, thanks for the advice!
Maddox
Maddox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down